Do We Live in a Democracy, Brexit Poem


I entered a poetry anthology competition called Bollocks to Brexit with CivicLeicester, and I decided to title my poem as Do We Live in a Democracy? Because this is a question I do not know the answer to, propaganda, politics, possibly cheating may have led to an undemocratic referendum, maybe we the People will never know the truth. I wrote my poem trying to keep an unbiased stance in mind with regards to political partiesp even though I do mention 'blind nationalistic clack', but this is due to the growth of nationalism that is now apparent in Britain since the referendum and the immigration campaigns.



My poem in case the poem cannot be read clearly on the image above. 

Do We Live in a Democracy? 
By (c)Toni Cairns 2019.

Do we live in a democracy and is it one of honesty?

Figures of quantification, laid way by propaganda of immigration

Drew a nation of citizens to vote leave the EU. 
Due to a swinging side that overspent, 
were the true figures of the referendum bent?

Accusation of coercion and persuasion, 
lay way to alligation, 
now the people of the land wait in agitation and frustration.

Watching the economy falter as it is plunged, 
what will happen will the people halt-her
and Brexit be expunged?

People of this here land, 
now do better understand, 
what the affirmation, 
of the amputation from the EU might mean.

People have now seen, what Brexit has brought forth, 
trouble and mixed up discourse, 
all because some wanted to divorce The European Union.

Can we truly afford, to lose our allies our accord, 
protection bond, connected businesses and jobs, 
of which we are fond?

Forces behind wanting England back, 
was led by blind nationalistic clack! 
We already have strength and Sovereignty, 
why of the EU, do we need to be free?

People of this nation filled with devout admiration, 
are now full of cynicism and skeptism, 
scalding themselves with self-criticism!

So few is in the difference of the votes to stay or leave, 
people previously didn't know what to think or what to believe?

They were under educated, 
overly propergated, 
and stringed off by the wing that sailed the other way.

Political gyrations, only confused the population, 
things were not fairly equated, 
instead things were miscommunicated!

We are already observing some consequences, 
of increased living expenses, 
and is it time just yet, to fret, the national debt?

What is to come, of the humdrum, 
caused by the Brexit referendum!!

By 
Toni Cairns (c)2019.

I wrote this poem literally because I came across the poetry competition online and I thought I would give it a shot. My personal feelings about Brexit are portrayed within the title of my poem 'Do We Live in a Democracy?' because I am left wondering about what a lash up the referendum is now. I sadly feel it is dividing the people of the United Kingdom, and I have no idea what will happen. At the end of the day the people of the nation state voted leave the European Union and so because we do live in a Democratic country that means we should follow through on the results of the referendum vote and leave the EU. I worry about our economy and the future of the people who live here, along with my concerns about the NHS which I believe will soon be privitised, and I worry about myself with my poor health and how will I be able to afford private health care. I fear our future and worry about my grandchildren. I have tried to portray my feelings in my poem without being too extreme with my political preferences. I hope people can appreciate my poem.

I entered this poem into a competiton called Bollocks to Brexit by Civic Leicester, further details at
Civic Leicester poetry competition results can be found here:

Bollocks to Brexit: an Anthology of Poems and Short Fiction is now available https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1916459331


My blog:
http://abstractdistraxtions.blogspot.com
My poetry profile:
https://allpoetry.com/Tappystrap

Comments

Popular Posts